Friday, July 2, 2010

Garlic Galore!

The garlic harvest is upon us, and the aroma around here is inescapable. The Ironweed kitchen maintains a 5000 sq. ft. garden, much of which consists of garlic. Two days ago, I spent the morning with five others plucking about 2,500 bulbs of 12 different varieties of garlic from the earth. Today I helped to peel and hang the garlic where it will cure before Ted and Sarah sell it to the village. The couple also sells homemade yogurt and kimchi to the village for extra income. Peeling was tedious but relaxing: a welcome respite from home construction and hauling lumber. In general, I've really enjoyed working with my hands here.

















Above: The Ironweed garden. Lots of garlic, kale, mint, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, cabbage (soon to be planted) and more. All organic! No petrochemical biocides allowed!

















Above: Ted basking in piles and piles of garlic.

1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous of this garden you tell of... Thanks for posting Robby, keep it up. I like to share this with my students next year.

    ReplyDelete